For Noble Purposes


Along with flowers, I love beautiful dishes and china, and silver is my metal of choice. As I began reading in 2 Timothy, thinking not at all about dishes of any sort, I was praying aloud as I read, about many things but mainly about my biblical studies degree. It's summer--a breather from school--a time to think, reflect, rest, and diligently check myself to be sure the pursuit of knowledge and wisdom (something urged by Proverbs, as we know) never surpasses relationship with Christ: seeking Him for Himself, obeying, following, learning the voice of the indwelling Holy Spirit. 

How humbling, I've been feeling, it will be to attain these degrees--to know I will be then prepared to become a student of the word. As I prayed along these lines, the example of the household articles of gold, silver, wood, and clay came to mind. Some for noble purposes and some for common use. As I read a little farther in 2 Timothy, those very verses came up! Have you had that happen? You're praying with your Bible open, a passage comes to mind, and there it is, partway down the page? God has no end of delightful ways of speaking to us. 

How can I become a vessel for noble use? I asked. While I would be happy to be a pretty clay bowl, 2 Timothy 2:21 suggests I should desire more. Here are the verses:

"In a large house, there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work" (2 Timothy 2:20-21 NIV).

If becoming a noble instrument is what makes me holy and useful to the Master, this is what I need. And cleanse myself from what, exactly? The evil desires of youth, foolish arguments, quarrels, resentments, godless chatter, anything dishonorable, disobedient, sinful--as the chapter details. 

Lord, through my study, make me a vessel for honor. Set me apart--as I willingly choose to be set apart--for Your special purpose, useful to the Master. Prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment